Burst washing machine hoses are one of the top insurance claims for homeowners.
Replace rubber hoses with stainless steel ones.
Turn the water off to your washing machine before going on vacation.
Never put chlorine tabs in the toilet to freshen the water.
The blue tabs can eat away at the components and rubber gaskets in your tank causing leaks.
Turns out those flushable wipes are not that flushable.
They are a main cause for clogged pipes.
Flushable wipes DO NOT break down like toilet paper.
Check to make sure all of your shut off valves are in working order during spring cleaning.
You don't want to find out during an emergency that valve is not working properly, or worse, not working at all!
- Make sure you remove garden hoses in October or prior to the start of freezing tempertures
- Make sure to shut the water off to the hose faucet inside your home
- Go outside and open the faucet to let the remaining water run out.
Prevent your tub drain from clogging with hair and use a drain strainer or a hair snare.
- Grind ice cubes and run cold water to sharpen blades.
- Grind lemon rinds and orange peels to freshen up smells while running cold water.
- Always run cold water while running your garbage disposal and for at least 20 seconds after.
- Never put foods like celery, potato skins, onion skins and corn husks in the disposal..
Turn off the garbage disposal.
Make sure it is still plugged in securely
Keep the power off and reset the switch at the front or bottom.
Turn the power back on
Test your sump pump every 2 to 3 months to make sure it is in working order by filling the pit with water.
Replace the battery to the backup every two years.